History of The Club
(Photo of The Late Cynthia & Gordon Knight. Secretary/Treasurer and Chairman)
2015 The Year of The Yorkshire Lancashire & Cheshire Diamond Jubilee
The Yorkshire ,Lancashire & Cheshire Border Terrier Club was founded and registered with the Kennel Club in 1955. It began with a group of Border Terrier enthusiasts getting together and deciding to form a breed club within the area of Yorkshire Lancashire and Cheshire.They all donated money to fund the club and these people became our founder members. It took a lot of hard work and dedication but eventually on the 25th September 1955 the Yorkshire Lancashire and Cheshire Border Terrier Club was founded.
The Founders decided the area for the club would be within the Yorkshire Lancashire and Cheshire boundaries and Skipton would be a suitable base for the club
The first show the Club held was a Match Meeting on Saturday 29th October 1955 at the Oldfellows Hall Hotel, Shipley.
A Limit Show was held on the 7th January 1956 at the Temperance Hall, Skipton and the judge was Mrs Long. The profit on the show was 15 shillings and six pence (equivalent today of seventy seven and half pence).
An Open Show was held on the 2nd June 1956, the judge was Mr Fielding and the show profit was £1.
The first Championship Show was held on 15th July 1961 at Meanwood W. M’s. Club Leeds, the Judge was Mr A L Water of Hexham, with an entry of 64 dogs.
The Dog Challenge Certificate Mrs Long’s Winstonhall Coundon Tim— Breeder Miss Turrall.
Reserve Dog Challenge Certificate Mr R Hall’s Deerstone Realization—Breeder P Lang.
Bitch Challenge Certicate Mrs McKnight’s Marrburn Morag—Breeder Mr D Cross.
Reserve Bitch Challenge Certificate Mr R Hall’s Brownside Rip of Deerstone—Mr W Hooton.
Best of Breed Mrs McKnight’s Marrburn Morag.
In 1980 we celebrated 25 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a Silver Spoon
In 1995 we celebrated 40 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a red and gold Pen
In 2005 we celebrated 50 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a gold letter Opener
In 2015 we celebrated 60 years with each member and exhibitor receiving a Crystal Paperweight
MR G LEATT (CHAIRMAN) MR A LUPSON (SECRETARY) MR L WILLIAMS (TREASURER)
MRS J ARMITAGE. MRS J BROWN. MR W BROWN. MR W CLARKE .
MR A DUXBURY. MRS I FAIRLE. MR L GRANT. MR R HALL.
MR W HANCOCK. MR A W HOLMES . MRS B S T HOLMES. MR W HOOTON.
MR G HUTCHINSON. MR J MOON. MR E MAWSON. MRS E MAWSON.
MISS PARKER. MR H WALKER. MISS A P WILLIAMS . MRS M SUTHERLAND.
PRESIDENTS OF THE CLUB
1955 - 1958 Miss Vaux
1958 - 1973 Mrs Fairley
1973 - 1989 Mrs M Hall
1989 to Present Time Mr J B Baxter
1955 -1958 Mr G. Leatt
1958 -1962 Mr R Hall
1962 (Part Year) Mr D.W.Clarke
1962 - 1978 Mr E. Mawson
1978 (Part Year) Mr W. Wrigley
1978 - 1980 Mr A. Duxbury
1980 - 1981 Mr R. Hall
1981 - 1989 Mr J. B. Baxter
1989 - 1990 Mr F Bennett
1990 - 1999 Mr E Hutchinson
1999 to 2012 Mr T.A.G. Knight
2012 to Present Time Mr K. Green
1955 -1957 Mr B. Lupton
1957 - 1958 Miss J. Leatt
1958 - 1972 Mrs Walker
1972 - 1980 Mrs Beardswood
1980 - 2015 Mrs C. Knight
2015 Acting Sec Mrs T. Green
1955 - 1967 Mr Whitworth
1967 to 1972 Mrs Walker
1972 - 1979 Mrs Beardswood
1979 - 1984 Mrs E. Garnett
1984 - 1989 Mrs J. Jackson
1989 - 1993 Mrs D. Rushby
1993 - 2015 Mrs C. Knight
2015 Acting Treasurer Mrs A. Heathcote